Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside

Inside Jimi Hendrix’s monument, Greenwood Cemetery

The photo prompt for this week is another one that’s tough to illustrate in a cemetery.  I want to write about Seattle’s Lake View Cemetery for tomorrow’s Cemetery of the Week, so I’ll stick close geographically, if not in the same immediate grounds.

During my trip to Washington in February 2009, I wanted to visit Hendrix’s grave because his guitar-playing was so influential for my husband.  We were staying with two musician friends in Seattle, so they were kind enough to chauffer me out to Greenwood Memorial Park in Renton.  The weather was chilly and gray, but the rain held off while we poked around.

My host William chuckled about the conversation he’d face at work on the Monday after our visit. “Oh, what did you do this weekend?” he’d be asked.  “Oh, nothing,” he’d say.  “Just hung out in some cemeteries.”

I didn’t immediately recognize that some people might find such a thing unusual.  I’ve been going to graveyards so long that it’s second nature.  I always seek out graveyards when I travel.  Even at home, I may spend as much time in graveyards as I do in the park.  If I have some time on my own to kill, I often find the closest graveyard to explore.

I wasn’t sure if I should apologize to William, but he just laughed at me.  “I know how you are,” he said.  “It’s no problem.”

At least my hobby gets me outside.

I am the author of the essay collection Wish You Were Here: Adventures in Cemetery Travel, co-author of the novel As Above, So Below, and editor of The Haunted Mansion Project: Year Two. Scribner published my favorite essays from Morbid Curiosity magazine as Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues. In addition to blogging at CemeteryTravel.com, I blog about my morbid life at lorenrhoads.com.
This entry was posted in Photo Challenges and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside

1. coastalcrone says:

Thanks for sharing!!!

2. I understand completely – I’m often fascinated by the hidden stories and history in graveyards.

3. Angelia Sims says:

I find it interesting to read the headstones. I notice so many husband and wives die close together or within a few years, but on the same month. It truly makes me wonder about people and their stories. Great take on the challenge. :-)

4. it’s interesting, I saw the exhibit on Jimi Hendrix at museum in Seattle, the monument fits his style

5. katjusablog says:

What is so interesting obout graweyards? I understand architecture point of view. What is yours? :)

Well, the long answer is in my Welcome to Cemetery travel here. The short answer is that cemeteries are a microcosm of the communities they inhabit. You can learn a lot about people by the way they treat their dead. And they’re beautiful, peaceful, full of plants & animals & insects — and lots of food for thought.

Thanks for asking!

• katjusablog says:

Thank you for your answer. I admire people doing anything for their soul whatever they are interested in instead of selfpity and talking all day about their dreams while they sit at home. Interestin point of view! keep on.

6. Liz Gray says:

Very interesting. I love Jimi Hendrix too! Never saw his monument before, it’s beautiful. Some of the best pics I ever took were in family cemeteries and after funerals with all the beautiful flowers. Some people don’t want to remember, but I do. In every cemetery you think of all the stories and lives that existed not that long ago. Seeing family member names with the same name as mine is a little bit unsettling, but it humbles you too. I think we appreciate life more. One of my favorite books about the beautiful stories hidden beneath in a cemetery is called A Gracious Plenty by Sheri Reynolds. I’m sending a link, curious if you’ve read it. I think you’d like it. I enjoyed your blog! http://www.sherireynolds.com/a-gracious-plenty.html Sincerely, Liz at lizlogic.wordpress.com

Thanks so much for the link, Liz. I’ll go check it out. And thanks for your thoughts, too. I wish I’d photographed my brother’s flowers at the graveside. It would help now to remember how much he was loved by others.

7. Pingback: Cemetery of the Week #69: Seattle’s Lake View Cemetery | Cemetery Travel: Adventures in Graveyards Around the World

8. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: My 2012 in Pictures | Cemetery Travel: Adventures in Graveyards Around the World