I had to put together a CV to apply for a grant the other day and I realized that I hadn’t pulled together all my cemetery publications since I was looking for a publisher for Wish You Were Here in 2012. Once I had gotten everything collected up, I feel like it’s not very much. So… next year I have a mission to beef-up my publications. Stay tuned.
- Association for Gravestone Studies since July 1999.
Cemetery Aficionado Work History:
- Cemetery columnist at Gothic Beauty magazine, starting in October 2016.
- Arranged tours of San Francisco Bay Area historic cemeteries for the Atlas Obscura Society, March-June 2014.
- Book reviewer, Association for Gravestone Studies Quarterly, 2012-2014.
- Cemetery columnist at Gothic.Net, 1997-2003.
- I began the Cemetery Travel (www.cemeterytravel.com) blog on February 1, 2011. It has more than 500 posts and almost a quarter of a million hits, as of September 2016.
- My Cemetery Postcards blog ran on tumblr.com in 2014. It had 119 posts.
Cemetery Lectures & Discussions:
- “Death’s Garden Revisited,” The Women Show with Elizabeth Black, blogtalkradio.com, July 21, 2016.
- Discussed Wish You Were Here with the Cypress Lawn Book Club, Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, Colma, California, May 21, 2015.
- “Where Have All the Graveyards Gone: the Pioneer Burial Grounds in San Francisco and the Grave Migration to Colma” at Death Salon: San Francisco, Fort Mason Center, San Francisco, California, October 11, 2014.
- “San Francisco History and Cemeteries,” DJ Lilycat show on FCC Free Radio, November 24, 2013.
- “Cemeteries as Travel Destinations” lecture as part of the Cypress Lawn Heritage Foundation lecture series, Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, Colma, California, April 15, 2012.
Cemetery Book Publications:
- Author of Wish You Were Here: Adventures in Cemetery Travel, published by Western Legends Press, May 2013.
- Photographer of Cemetery Travel Notebook, published by Automatism Press, April 2012.
- Editor of Death’s Garden: Relationships with Cemeteries, Automatism Press, 1996.
Cemetery Article Publications:
- “Columbariums,” SEARCH magazine, Fall 2016.
- “Bay Area Attraction: Wave Organ,” SEARCH magazine, Spring 2016.
- “Graveyard Horrors,” Halloween Haunts blog series, hosted by the Horror Writers Association, October 24, 2015.
- “Where Horror Lies,” parts 1-3, HorrorAddicts.com, October 19-21, 2015.
- “Where Horror Lies” Halloween Haunts blog series, hosted by the Horror Writers Association, October 21, 2014.
- “Take Your Children to the Graveyard,” published on ScoutieGirl.com, October 7, 2014.
- “Short was My Life, Long is My Rest,” published in All You Need is Morbid, wattpad.com, August 2014.
- “Travel Memories from Loren (Cemetery Travel),” The Travel Tester, June 8, 2014.
- “Permanent Florentines,” drawn from Wish You Were Here was published in Wicked World magazine, June 7, 2014.
- “Island of the Dead,” Western Legends blog, June 1, 2014.
- “Adventures in Cemetery Travel,” Western Legends blog, April 3, 2014.
- U.S. Marine Hospital Cemetery entry for Atlas Obscura, November 12, 2013.
- “Autumn People” about visiting Ray Bradbury’s grave on my birthday, Halloween Haunts blog series, hosted by the Horror Writers Association, October 28, 2013.
- Tell Me feature about Wish You Were Here on http://www.jenniferbrozek.com, October 28, 2013.
- “On Tongues of Flame,” CemeteryRegistry.us, September 1, 2012.
- “How to Be Safe in the Cemetery,” CemeteryRegister.us, June 28, 2011. Reprinted on TheCemeteryClub.com, August 30, 2011.
- “With Folded Wings,” Association for Gravestone Studies Quarterly, November 27, 2010.
- “The Lion Among the Learned,” Quigley’s Cabinet, September 3, 2010.
- “Not Fade Away,” Eleven Eleven magazine, August 2010.
- “A Cemetery that Once Rivaled Niagara Falls,” Morbid Outlook, April 2009.
Quoted as a Cemetery Expert:
- Death: An Oral History by Casey Jarman, to be published by Pulp/Zest Books, October 2016.
- “Why Are So Many Dead People in Colma? And So Few in San Francisco?” in KQED’s Bay Curious by Jon Brooks, December 16, 2015.
- Legendary San Francisco newsman Peter Finch featured Cemetery Travel on his Finch Files podcast, October 2015.
- “Nothing like a Cemetery to Enliven a Trip” by Irene S. Levine, Chicago Tribune, July 8, 2015. Reprinted on More Time To Travel, July 26, 2015.
- Mental Floss chose Cemetery Travel as one of “9 Niche Blogs to Brighten Your Winter,” January 22, 2015.
- “A Fun-Filled Day in the Cemetery? Absolutely!” by Kristi Palma, Boston.com, November 1, 2014.
- “Walking Among the Dead: The Art of Cemetery Travel” by Christine Krzyszton, The Frugal Travel Guy, October 29, 2014.
- “This is the Life of a Graveyard Tourist” by Cheryl Eddy, io9.com, October 27, 2014.
- “The World’s Most Beautiful Cemeteries,” initially appeared on Travel & Leisure’s website, but was picked up by Smithsonian.com, Huffington Post, and Australia’s Herald Sun, October 2014.
- “On the Road” by Patti Martin Bartsche, American Cemetery magazine, October 2013.
- “How Weather Affects Cemeteries” by Lorraine Boissoneault, WeatherChannel.com, June 27, 2013.
3 responses to “Loren’s Cemetery Work”
Pingback: Cemetery Travel: Your Take-along Guide to Graves & Graveyards Around the World – Tombstone Tuesdays September 3, 2019 | Ups and Downs of Family History V2.0